Tuesday, July 14, 2015

One Picture of the Civil Rights Movement Did Say a Thousand Words

In our morning class went over Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, Gratz v. Bollinger, Grutter v. Bollinger, and Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1. Every case had a common theme, which was defining of discrimination, in other words to from this cases to treat a minority better than the majority if discrimination all in itself. Those cases focused on schools and talked about how race could not solely be a reason to accept or deny any student.

Directly after our morning session the class headed to subway station to go get lunch. For lunch we went to a good hamburger place named Shake Shack, while waiting in line it began to rain in result the entire class felt the need to cram in to the small, over filed, restaurant.  Somehow Mark, Alyanan, and I managed to find somewhere to stand and eat. The restaurant felt like a clown car, it made you wonder how it was possible to fit so many people in such a small area.
 For our field trip we went to the New York Historical Society. The tour of the Society focused on the Selma marches in the south. The marches were about fighting for the equal right to vote, if you were a person of color it used to difficult to gain the authority to vote. Back then during the time of the marcher’s people who did not have proof of a fifth grade education had to take a ridiculous test what was impossible to pass. One of the activities we did was taking the test, I felt so confused at first and after a quick minute I began to feel frustrated with how unclear the question where.  On other activity we did was walk around one section of the historical society that was devoted to pictures of the last Selma march and chose to wright about one. In the bottom is the picture that attracted my attention, in the picture you begun to see what looks to be a family in the sidelines of the march right inform of a Coca-Cola poster. After the activity had finished the tour guide chose to stop by the picture I chose to talk about his interpretation. He talked about the different value of the march to the different generations that where present. I am amazes by the power of the people to fight for the equality or in the case of Martin Luther King Jr. the ability to inspire change. I love learning about civil right and there ongoing effect on current society. MLKJ was not alone in his fight for equality it took an entire community of people to come together for a cause, in this case the right to equal voting rights.
                 
Right after I reached the campus I hurried to gather my things and get down stairs, since there was a group of students waiting for me. The group was full of teenage girls exited to go see the Christina Perri and Colbie Caillat concert. The concert was so much fun, I couldn’t believe that I had the opportunity to see such talent preform live. By the time I arrived back to my dorm I was full of excitement and had the need to sing out loud some of my favorite songs from the show.
                                                                   
My day was packed from the start till the end with learning about how instrumental my civil rights are in my own life. In some wired was after the show I felt a lot better about the challenges I will have to face this week, like the essay that I have to do in class and the last quiz of the course. Something about the upbeat music made me feel like I could like is going to be just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment