Friday, July 10, 2015

Highlight of My Week

I woke up this morning feeling incredibly thankful to not have any sort of throat pain. I was more willing to get out of bed and begin the new day.

In class today, we discussed matters of religion under the 1st Amendment. We discussed the cases of Abington School District v. Schempp and Lemon v. Kurtzman. From the Abington School District v. Schempp case, I learned that in one school, students were required to pray before classes every day. Parents of students didn't believe in this and filed a case against the court, claiming that this was against their freedom of exercise act. I found that these topics were incredibly interesting, and made me wonder, where is the line drawn to make something constitutional, while still not violating our rights and freedoms? It amazes me how our country can adapt so well to other people's beliefs. 

During our afternoon session, my class had a debate. I personally found it so intriguing to hear how cohesively my classmates were able to organize their thoughts and ideas, and present them in an organized and effective manner; I tried to take note of their strengths and weaknesses and incorporate it into my own debating. My team's case was regarding this one teenager's exploitation by the company "Candy Films Inc.". The parents of their legally-aged daughter wanted to sue the company for distributing the obscene videos, however, she uploaded it onto a public domain, therefore making it Cnady Films Inc's first amendment right to share the videos. 

After class, I headed to Times Square with Deborah and Mark. I feel that this "adventure" with the was the highlight of my week--we didn't really have much of a destination in mind, our main goal was to find a great dessert place, and we succeeded. We came across this one cupcake place with $1 cupcakes that were delicious and full of flavor. After walking a few more blocks, we came across a Dunkin' Donuts shop and picked up a milkshake and well, what a surprise, donuts. We planned on just getting half a dozen, however, since the store was closing up soon, the clerk gave us 7 free donuts. This definitely made our day.
Lunch with Mark and Deborah!
And I end my day talking with some of my friends from the Bay Area, only further reminding me of my homesickness. This week concluded my second week at Columbia, may this last week end with a bang! 

No comments:

Post a Comment