Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I am Truly Blessed

Writing this blog has been quite difficult since I am finding it hard to put into words how thankful I am to have been a part of the Ivy League Connection for two summers. Before the ILC, it’s sad to say that I didn’t think a 4 year college was realistic for me, my views have since dramatically changed. I no longer have that mindset, now I think about the college I want to go to

I have seen a transformation in myself since returning home just a couple of days ago, I feel like my goals have been put in prospective. I was blessed by this program in many ways. During my trip I began think to myself how I can help someone else experience the same growth I went through during my time in the east coast.

Now that I am back I am planning on spreading my knowledge with as many students that are willing to listen about all the colleges I visited. The students in my school could surely benefit from knowing that when it comes to college there’s more out there in the world then just colleges in California. I will be happy once every student in my school knows they have options.

Perfect first day 
During my time in Columbia I felt like I was not at the same level academically as the rest of the students. The way I chose to view this disadvantage was as a learning experience. I was open to listening to my classmates and kept an open mind to their interpretations of the law. By the end of the class I felt like I had learned so much from just listening to my class discussion I felt like my views prior to that class were limited but that has now changed.

Joyce was a marvelous chaperone from whom I learned the value of art in all of it glorious forms. While we walked around museums she would stop and talk about a painting or a piece and tell me something new that would just put a new perspective on the piece. I was glad I had Joyce -- she added so much to every conversation about art, theater, even current events.

I felt like I became really close with all of my cohort members. The ILC did it again -- they connected me with five amazing people from whom I have learned. I learned from each in their own way. I think it’s a little funny that we have already planned our reunion. Indisputably the friendships I made added to the college experience. I am just happy I get to bring my friendships back.

I want to thank Don Gosney for being crazy enough to take on the challenge of managing the ILC and for making this program possible. I also wanted to give big thanks to the sponsors who believed in the students. The ILC is all about giving back and that’s just what I plan on doing!

1 comment:

  1. We were blessed to have someone like you, Izabel, as a part of the ILC for not one, but two years. We will speak fondly of you to future generations of ILCers.

    ReplyDelete