Saturday, July 11, 2015

More Than Words

Everything this morning was going according to plan. I woke up at exactly 7:50 to meet up with Mark and Deborah, and was at our meeting spot by 8:10. I started to get a tad worried, as ten minutes had gone by with no sign of either of them. So I texted Mark, only to get a surprised and frantic text message back, saying that he'd be down in a few. This really surprised me, as I am never usually the most punctual one.
The Famous NYU Arch
After Mark and Deborah's morning rush, we took the subway to Ms. Thrift and headed to NYU for our campus tour. I noticed that the commute to NYU was so much more complicated compared to that of Columbia's--there was all this train transferring that I'd honestly rather not go through. So from the start, I was already a tad turned off the NYU. However, during the information session, I began to think otherwise...well, for a few minutes at least. The vice-president of undergraduate admissions informed us of all the study-abroad options provided by NYU, and told us that they have a campus on almost every single continent (the only exception is Antarctica, but they said that if anyone else ever does first, they'll put one up right next to it in order to prevent falling behind.) However, all interest I had in the school was soon deferred when the yearly tuition slide was presented. 46k+ is a bit more than what I'm comfortable with, and I'm ceratin my parents would agree. NYU provides financial aid, but the maximum grant is typically around 26k, which still leaves a hefty amount for my parents and I. During our tour, the guide showed us around the campus, but take the term "campus" loosely, as  NYU is "in and of the city of New York", meaning that it isn't really a campus. The buildings were pretty spread out around Washington Square Park, and had you not been familiar with the area, you wouldn't even be able to tell that it was a school campus. Personally, I'm more of a closed-campus type of gal, as I feel that school and leisure should be separated. For example, if I were to be walking toward my history class, but a certain sushi bar catches my eye, well, the temptation to go to said sushi bar would be quite real. After the tour, I came to the conclusion that NYU, although a fabulous institution in a terrific location, was just not for me. 
Where the wizards at?
After our campus tour, we headed for the 9/11 Memorial. The climate was incredibly humid outside, and this was probably amplified by the fact that I was wearing my warmest fleece sweater (big mistake). But after getting inside, I was very thankful for my sweat-inducing piece of fleece, as it was FREEZING indoors. Upon taking my first steps into the memorial, I was immediately flustered with emotions of melancholy. The sad voices of those left behind after the attack played through an exhibit of projecting panels and quotes. Further in are remnants of the World Trade Center, such as box column remnants, a slurry wall, and concrete stairs. The museum itself gave off an essence of  solemnity and solidarity, as you could tell every single person inside of it felt for those who perished.

Subsequent to our Memorial visit, we met up with Izabel and headed to Chinatown. We looked around at the little shops along the streets, and were amazed by the cheap prices! My cohort and I had dinner at this little dim-sum place at the corner of Chinatown, and I have to say the food was excellent.

Since we took a rain-check on our plan to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, Izabel, Mark, and Deborah and I were able to return to campus early. Being the responsible adult that she is, Izabel decided to head to her dorm immediately and catch an abundance of sleep. On the other hand, Mark, Deborah, and I felt that the night was young and decided to have a "deep-talk" session. We discussed matters as silly as childhood pets to serious matters such as our personal standings on religion. We all had different opinions on certain things, but I feel that this is what made the conversation so great. I felt that I was able to contribute my thoughts and ideas without being judged or having someone else's opinion thrown at me; it was just a safe and comfortable environment. I was able to get closer to them on such a different level, and made me so much more thankful to have them as friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment