Monday, July 13, 2015

Civil Evolution


I think I am getting sick since my throat hurts and I woke up with a runny nose. I stayed in bed until an hour before class started. In class we went over civil rights cases like Dred Scott v. Sanford, Plessy v. Ferguson, Brown v. Board I, and Brown v. Board II. All of the cases discussed the evolution of civil rights through the Supreme Court cases. I was amazed by how much one court cases could just change the entire county and at the end declared equality for everyone in the eyes of the court.

Since I was not feeling well I chose to go back to my room during lunch to take a nap. To be honest the nap did not help, I felt even more tired afterwards. I hope I don’t stay sick long, I still want to be able to fully experience this course.

For the second part of class we watched two films, “The Supreme Court: A Nation of Liberties” and “Of Civil Wrongs and Rights: The Fred Korematsu Story.” Both films did a great job depicting the struggles of the minority people during that period in time.  

After class, Deborah, Alyanna and I went to a makeup store downtown. It was an interesting for see their curious minds working, I could tell they were asking themselves “How do you use this?” when looking around the store. I found myself looking like a kid in a candy store. I felt like I was in my element.

We found a nice pizza place near the store that was so good, Deborah and I had to go back for another slice. We took the train to Times Square to meet up with Joyce and Mark. We went to the Brooklyn Bridge and waited for the sun to go down. When the sun finally went down the bridge felt magical, lit by the surrounding bright buildings. The nice slow walk was just what I need to relax and appreciate the value of this city that I called home for three weeks. I enjoyed staring at the beautiful city of New York from the Brooklyn Bridge. I could see the Statue of Liberty from the bridge; it made me think about what we were learning about in class, liberty and freedom, there was a point in time in this county that not every one was free to truly pursue their own liberty.

                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment