Saturday, March 28, 2015

Let's Get Down to Business

On a warm and sunny Saturday morning, my alarm went off at 7:30 AM, and I knew I had to get up for the ILC Tutorial. Unfortunately though, I have a bad habit of ignoring my alarms when I hear them, so I disregarded it and went back to sleep. I woke up about 20 minutes later than I had intended, and rushed to get ready and leave the house as soon as I could.
Upon my arrival at DeAnza, I was a bit lost since I was unfamiliar with the layout of the school, and was dropped off at the opposite side of where I was actually supposed to be. However, after much walking and regret from not looking at the map, I saw the ILC banner and was pointed to the right direction.

My North Star

As I was walking towards the room, I didn't know what to expect, other than a Hawaiian shirt Don said he was going to wear. "Would I get along with the other students? What was going to be in this tutorial anyway, and why is it four hours long? Is there going to be food?" were all questions that came to mind as I approached the door. After walking in, I was flustered with emotions of sheepishness as I was two minutes late, and I felt that I had already made a bad impression for myself to the other ILCers. I quickly found an empty seat and settled myself in as quietly as possible.
The DeAnza Computer Lab

For the first hour, we listened to Don talk about his many relatives (Good Don, Evil Don, Frustrated Don, Guantanamo Don, and Flamethrower Don), and were given an overview on blogging and photography. During this time, we were supposed to practice making posts on the blog ourselves, however there was an issue with the Internet connection, halting our progress in the tutorial. After a couple tries to get ourselves online, we eventually just made the best of it and did what we could. We were also given the opportunity to take our own photographs for practice to post on the blog. 

It was at this time that I got to mingle with the other ILCers also present in the meeting. I had met my Columbia Con-Law cohorts Mark and Izabel, as well as a few other students. I even met DeAnza counterpart, Cindy! Everyone I met was so great and so easy to get along with--I am super excited to see them all in the near future.
The ILC Tutorial Morning Session "Squad" 

After some fun with photo-taking, we went right back to business in the computer lab. Don discussed responsibilities we have as ILCers, dinners, and some miscellaneous travel information. We were able to practice putting on a computer lock, and had a talk on laundry and were given some suggestions on what to pack for the trip.

After a bit more lecture and discussion, it was 12:30, signifying that the meeting was over. To me, it really had not felt like I had been in there for four hours, though. Talking about the trip really got me so excited, and it finally hit me that wow, this is actually happening, I'm going to an Ivy League school over the summer.And to put the icing on the cake, I made some really cool new friends. This day, as I say with uttermost sincerity, has been the best Saturday morning I've had all year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment